Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cabin Fever


The snow just keeps coming. I've already had to shovel 5 inches so the kids could make it from the street to the front door, and now it looks like I'll have to shovel again before dark. It's a wonder that I still have arm flab. As I type this, my desktop tells me that it's currently 18 degrees outside. It's 28 in Stockholm (and it's night there), 63 near Sacramento, and 88 in Brazil. I'm thinking I'd rather be anywhere but here. Six more weeks of winter? I can't take six more weeks of anything!






Lately we've been very involved in basketball. With the two little kids in one league, and Erik in another, and all having practices on different nights, it gets crazy. Jason should be the team mascot with his funny antics (he's the one without the head), and Rachel just plays her heart out. Doesn't her team look beat? They were unfortunately (she's the one squatting).










We also had a birthday over the weekend. When we asked Bryce how it feels to be fifteen, he looked a little depressed. "I don't know," he said. "I'm too old to be a child prodigy, but too young to drive." I had to laugh. He sounded so much like a twelve year old girl--too old to be a Tomboy, but too young for a boyfriend (at least in this house). I'm glad boys, as well as girls, have those introspective years to gear up for the future. Bryce got a Periodic Table for his birthday, which he was very happy about, but his favorite present was money. Typical teenager.




















Monday night I took all my Cub Scouts on a tour of the police station. We had eight boys attend and we got to see everything from the weight room to the interrogation room (parents spying on the boys through the one-way mirror). Here we are being briefed. We looked at the police bikes and the police car, and the boys got to pose in the lab for mug shots. We must have been entertaining to watch because all the reserve officers took a break to follow us around. Everyone was happy when we went home, but I think I was the happiest, since I didn't have to do anything that night but show up. Pinewood Derby is next month. Whoo-hoo. I hope the snow melts by then. So much for this week. I hope everyone is surviving winter.

4 comments:

Jackee said...

Rebekah, it was 60 degrees here today. (But maybe I shouldn't tell you that.) Our poor ski resort...

Bekah said...

You are so funny, Jackee. I'd love to trade. It's currently 1 degree here, we have over 8 inches of snow and our only state ski resort (as if there are any sizeable hills here) is up for sale. Hard to believe they're predicting rain this weekend. Now we'll probably flood.

Karla said...

Again, wish you were here in AZ - it was 85 degrees yesterday! (Way too hot for this time of year, really.) Happy Birthday to Bryce. Can't believe he's 15 let alone wanting a periodic table for his birthday. :) I bet Rachel and Jason are a blast to watch play basketball. They both have so much energy! And for the last comment - imagine how flabby our arms would be if we didn't do things like shovel AND mop AND vacuum!

Rachel said...

Doesn't Bryce have a chemistry book? All of mine had periodic tables in them. I've also seen them on shower curtains. Wouldn't that be efficient, study the table while in the shower.

We had a week straight of snow days off from school last week and the kids got sick this week so I'm right there with you. I think we need a new groundhog, one with a smaller shadow.