Monday, March 2, 2009

What's Cookin'?


For years I've been clipping healthy recipes from magazines, intending to incorporate them into the family diet, only to have them overflow my nightstand drawer, while we continue feasting on our pre-packaged, overly processed American diet. As one of my resolutions, I decided this year to put a little more effort (think baby steps) into healthy eating.
I'm not a dieter. I don't count calories, I don't read labels, and I admit freely that I don't understand a lot beyond basic nutrition. I love my carbs, and because I've stayed the same weight for over five years now, even with a moderate workout five days a week, I don't feel the need to make drastic changes. I think my body likes this weight. I'm comfortable with it too. And with what I've read about body types, mine needs a carb kick (I'm short on serotonin) to keep my brain working optimally. But I know I could do better in my choices.
This year I decided to cut back--a lot--on packaged items, starting with snack foods, frozen pizza, and Heaven Forbid! Hamburger Helper. For those who don't know, Erik once worked for General Mills and was once quoted as saying, "As long as it's free, you'll eat it." Well, it aint free anymore so it's moved to the chopping block. Sorry, Honey.
Instead, we've been trying out that drawer full of culinary creations for dinner. Things like olive medley pinwheel sandwiches, fried rice, and Czech-style lentils. Big hits were whole-wheat pancakes, mango chicken, grape leaves stuffed with rice and beef, porkchops glazed with apple butter, and--surprise--pumpkin bean soup. Who would have thought that a combination of pumpkin, white beans and unsweetened coconut milk would find a place in our family? Amazing.
There's been a definite change around the dinner table. Now when we call everyone to eat, they wonder what the night's specialty will be, occasionally with trepidation. Erik says it's like taking an international trip every night without having to leave home. Ha, he won't keep me from Sweden that easily.
It's actually been fun to try the new foods and hear the kids' responses. But there are some things you just can't mess with. Look down on me if you must, but peanut butter and jelly will always taste best on sinfully white bread. Happy eating.

What's for dinner? Sounds great!

4 comments:

Annissa said...

Good for you! Keep trying! I know I struggle to try and find something new and a little nutritious. When I do my family calls is Sunday surprise night & turn their noses up. I only have a 10% success rate of them liking something, but I keep cooking, as I can't stand tacos every night.

Karla said...

Hey, one of my favorite fall recipes is "Pumpkin Bake" - I think it's more of a stew - and it's DELICIOUS! Fresh pumpkin chunks, ginger, onion, zucchini, pasta, basil, and ricotta cheese. Unfortunately I can only make it during the months of September (last half) and October. After that, fresh pumpkin isn't available EVEN with Thanksgiving the next month. Strange. Anyway, send your pumpkin soup recipe to me. It actually sounds fantastic!

Jennie said...

You'll have to post some of your recipes that were a hit. I wouldn't even know where to begin with the grape leaves.

The Porter Family said...

Those recipes sound delicious! I love to find recipes in magazines and on the internet and try them. Too bad the kids don't always feel the same!