Saturday, April 18, 2009

Belated Easter



There must have been a connection between my getting home late last weekend (I was only home for two hours Saturday) and the Easter Bunny leaving strange offerings in our baskets this year. Come to think of it, the baskets barely made it out of the basement in time to be filled.


When the kids woke up Sunday morning and searched for their baskets, they were surprised to find things like brownie mixes, soft drinks and the same candy they've been snacking on all week. Jason looked over his loot carefully and then gave me a look. "I guess now I know there's no Easter Bunny," he said. Yeah, well, why should we all go around pretending forever? It made a good excuse to re-emphasize the true meaning of Easter.



We finally got around to dying eggs on Tuesday afternoon. You know what? Egg salad sandwiches taste the same on Tuesday as they do on Easter Sunday. Amazing.













Wednesday night Bryce was inducted into the National Honor Society. It was a nice ceremony, but imagine our surprise when we flipped the program over and saw Mykell's name listed as a past inductee. Hmm. So that's what that certificate and pin were for that we received in the mail last year. None of us knows how we missed this for Mykell, not even Mykell.
























Erik and I went out to lunch this week and had some good Chinese. At the end of our meal we opened our fortune cookies anxious to see what they would say. We have a big bag of fortune cookies at home and Erik has been getting less than fortunate results lately. This cookie was no different.


Erik's: For better luck you have to wait till spring.
Mine: Sing and rejoice, fortune is smiling.

I couldn't help it; I busted out laughing. Have you had any surprises this week?






Cookie Quote: You will blog about this.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Congratulations on the NHS! What a great accomplishment. I am also loving your Easter baskets. I would have been stoked to get the brownie mix - my favorite!

Rachel said...

At least Mykell found out about it in time to put it on her college applications. When I was in NHS I was in charge of the music for the induction ceremony and I had the members and inductees walk in to "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" (2001 A Space Odyssey). We were encouraged to be creative at my high school. And hey, it was on my Music Appreciation class CD. I can't remember what I had them walk out to, something a little more understated.