Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

As you can see, we are big celebrators, what with our little Hispanic child and all. Funny that he was born in California, and the only blond baby in the hospital nursery. The nurses refered to him as "Surfer Boy" during our entire stay.

Today, he still looks very much the same, but surfing has never been his thing. Lazer Tag is now the game of the day and everybody had a BLAST (or bang or pow or whatever). These weren't his only presents, but take a look at some of our action shots. Afterward we had eclairs because he's always enjoyed being a little different. Happy 8th Birthday, Jason!


Jason's birthday was a fun celebration for the family, but last week was Erik's birthday, and guess what? I was off flying solo in Kentucky. Yeah, I missed my husband's birthday--on purpose. Am I bad, or what? But it wasn't all bad. Knowing I would be gone, I made some advance preparations and the day didn't turn out too shabby. This year I decided that we would celebrate Erik's birthday all week instead of just one day. That way he was able to spend individual time with each family member for a day, and he hardly even noticed I was gone.



Tuesday he attended Bryce's Math Superbowl, Wednesday he took Rachel bowling and bought his own ball, Thursday he needed a rest so he stayed home with Jason, Friday Mykell called, Saturday he went to the movies with all the kids, and that night I was home to complete his week. Everyone got a chance to feel special and there wasn't any of the usual anxiety over what to get Dad for a gift. Personally, I think this was one of my better birthday ideas. It worked out very well. But for those who still think I was awful for leaving, you'll be happy to know that I'll be alone for my birthday too--at another conference--just to make things fair. Aren't I nice?



Happy Birthday Erik and Jason!

What was your happiest birthday?

2 comments:

Karla said...

Happy Birthday Jason! Happy Birthday Erik! Looks like you are all doing well. Playing with the family out on the grass always makes good memories. And how lush is your yard! Wow! Jealous.

Bekah said...

It's been raining here for months! We can't seem to go three days without a storm, and now that tornado season is upon us it makes everything that more exciting. We're crossing our fingers that we'll continue to not have any twisters touch down in our town.