Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fall Clean-up

Indiana Corn
Though the warm temperatures are deceiving, yesterday was the first day of fall. In Indiana that means . . . The corn stalks are dry and dull, brittle beside the barns. The soybeans are changing color, glittering green and gold. I know, I should change careers and become a poet, but I suspect another relative would strangle me if I invaded her turf. I'll stick to story telling for now. Here's a little diddy about my fall clean-up catastrophe.
soybeans



The Plant that Mom Picked

This is the place where Mom spent four hours improving the yard.


This is the plant that Mom picked from between the myrtle and bark.



This is the rash that Mom got, itchy and red and sore.

(not really mine, but close enough)



With that, she decided it just wasn't worth doing yardwork anymore.
This is the week the rash got worse, requiring drugs and a shot.

And this is the rash after starting to spread--poison ivy--I think not!





(love the tan line from my watch)









This is the nurse, who put Mom off, saying a reaction was highly unlikely.






And this is the place where Mom ended up in a drab wrap-around nighty.


This is Mom's foot, the only appendage where the rash had yet to spread.










This is the doctor who diagnosed hives and released her from the hospital bed.













These are the drugs Mom's been on, all from a stint in the yard.


Take her advice and stay inside. Good health is something to guard.


Translation: I was trimming and weeding four different types of shrubs and ivy, not noticing the two types of poison ivy mixed in. Had a reaction, which then changed to a different reaction, which made me want to claw the skin from my bones. This has REALLY messed up two weeks of my life. Watch yourselves out there. Plants can be dangerous, even in subdivisions.


6 comments:

Rachel said...

Bekah, Bekah, Bekah. Leaves of three let them be. Actually that doesn't help much because blackberries and raspberries have leaves of three too. It has proven to be very useful to be able to identify Poison Ivy out here. It is everywhere! I hope you really weren't hospitalized and you added that for dramatic affect. That's terrible. I hope you've found a drug with minimal side effects that's helping you clear up.

Bekah said...

Thanks for the sympathy, Rachel. Hard to spot poison ivy when you're trying to trim back English ivy. Actually, after suffering through the weekend and then the nurse refusing me an appt. Monday, I DID spend my evening at the hospital, and thank goodness for that. My whole rash had changed to a chemical-type reaction and was only getting worse. Feeling much better now with the new meds. And I should look better too, in a couple days. I hope.

Annissa said...

WOW, Hope you feel better soon!

The Porter Family said...

Sheesh! If ever I need a reason not to weed....! Thanks!

The A#1 Family said...

I am so sorry to hear of your misadventure in the garden. I myself have planted 14 rosebushes, 7 green bushes and 5 red bushes in the last two weeks. Gardening is not my favorite chore. Now I am waiting for the spring annual planting, and the fall cleanup. AAAGGGHHH!!! On the other hand, I hurt my back and sprained my foot moving boxes. Life is hard!!!
Love, Julie

THE HUMES FAMILY said...

Wow! That sounds terrible! That is why I dont do yard work! ;)