Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Phil From Brazil


Phil Visits the Windy City

Hancock Observatory--2nd Highest Building in Chi-town


For the past four months we've had an exchange student living with us. Some of you might be scratching your heads over this: "What? An exchange student? They never mentioned an exchange student before!" So I have to mention here that this blog is not a great source for breaking news. Did you read my Thanksgiving post, about going to Chicago? No, because it hasn't been posted until now. See what I mean?

There are only two seasons in Chicago: Winter and Construction.
Typical Chicago.

We had no choice but to take Phil in, really. I mean, two of our kids moved out this fall, prefering a dorm room and a roommate to life at home, so we had to find a replacement. Hence, Phil from Brazil.

View From our Hotel Window


The goal was to learn about my husband's culture (he's half Brazilian), make more of a real life connection with the country, and in return teach a teenager about the United States. So how's it gone? Um, it's been a learning experience. And by that I mean, "How would you like to be responsible for a teenager you don't know, who answers every comment with, 'Oh yes, yes,' and smiles so big you start thinking you should count the silver?" Okay, it's not that bad, but there is a definite language gap that makes things interesting.

Shopping at Macy's on Black Friday


The day after he arrived, he asked if it's a good idea to ask someone at the airport where he can buy drugs. ??? After further questioning, I discovered he had done just that in Houston during his layover, because he needed aspirin for a headache. Duh, what else would you think he wanted? We had a good laugh when I explained to him what he had done.




Great Chicago-style pizza at Lou Malnatti's. Don't go to Uno or Gino's East; this place is good to the last bite, and the salad is to die for.


Animated Store Windows at Marshall-Fields (it will never be Macy's to true Chicagoans)


Brazilians don't hold food in their fingers to eat; they always use silverware. I knew this before, but it never dawned on me just how many foods we eat with our fingers: hamburgers, pizza, chicken, tacos . . . which brings up another interesting point. I assumed that everyone living south of say, Kansas, was familiar with Mexican food, including everyone in South America. They're all considered Hispanic, right? So why not lump all their cultures together like people do with Canadians and Americans? Uh, no. The second night Phil was at our house I prepared burritos for dinner, thinking to give him something familiar. No such luck. He had no idea what to do with the tortillas, or how to eat them (no finger foods, remember?).

German Christkindle Market at Daly Plaza

So, it's been an interesting time learning about Brazil, different customs, different ways of doing things, and getting past all those messy words. And even though Indiana may be the most boring place an exchange student could end up, we've managed to get him a look outside every now and then. Here are some pictures of our trip to Chicago over Thanksgiving. The best part? Everywhere we went sent home the message that America is still the biggest melting pot in the world. We're not just one culture, we're every culture! From hamburgers to Chinese food to pizza over an inch thick, you can find it all in America! I love this place.



View from Shedd Aquarium

Yeah, I know, the sweater makes me look dumpy. I'm throwing it out tomorrow. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Wow! You guys are full of surprises. You are right. I had no idea you had an exchange student living with you. It sounds like it has been fun and full of adventure. Although having to cook dinner every night sounds like a lot of pressure. My family has learned to not expect that much from me.

On your next post, you'll have to fill us in on your adventures with the dorms and your trip to see Ammon. I didn't realize both Bryce and Mikelle were already gone. You have a house full of such smartie pants. Good for you!

Jackee said...

Your second is out of house already?! Man, time flies. How fun to have Phil from Brasil instead. No wonder you are so incredibly busy.

Loved this post. And the picture of you! I'm always glad to put a face with our friendship. Ha, ha!

Ann said...

That sounds like a fun trip. I love Chicago pizza, but I eat it with my hands. I had a roommate who ate sandwiches with a fork. PS. Did you really throw out the sweater?