Friday, June 5, 2009

Back From the Dead


Did I make it? Whew, that was a rough month. After all the award ceremonies, Field Day, dance recitals, finishing a writer's class, both sets of parents visiting over Memorial Weekend, Erik's business trip, moving Mykell out of her dorm, and a few home projects (which still aren't done), I'm glad to be alive. Last week I ran into one of the old-timers from my local Genealogical Society chapter and she asked if I had died. Not a surprise. The only way people quit the Genealogical Society is to die. I'm too young for that. And not that lucky.



So after a few weeks of distorted reality, life is slowly coming back to normal. Back to writing, back to the computer, back to the peace and quiet of books. Actually, I never gave up books--I survived on them. Isn't it great when you can lose yourself in another life temporarily? Or become so wrapped up in a story that you imagine what would happen if the story went on? I love those books. You can check out some of my favorites (or those I despise too) on http://www.goodreads.com/. I'd love to compare notes with you.


Lately I've been researching schizophrenia for a project, reading several books and watching movies, and learned that schizophrenics will often drop relationships with friends and family, not participate in hobbies or activities that used to interest them, and will become reclusive in order to hide their behaviors from others. Hmm. It sounded a bit familiar, like the obsessive (or manic) life of a writer. It made me wonder, am I really that far gone?


Anyhow, Glad to be Back!

1 comment:

THE HUMES FAMILY said...

I am sure you have not gone that far! I love to read your blog and would love a chance to read one of your books!